- In the last 18 months, 31 young people died from gunfire in Miami.
- In a 2004 study by Sperling's BestPlaces, Miami was singled out as having the highest violent crime rate as well as one of the highest property crime rates.
- In 2003, one kid or teen in the US was shot to death every three hours, nearly 8 every day, 54 a week, nearly 3,000 a year. 4 to 5 times that number survived bullet wounds.
- The number of kids killed by guns in 2003 exceeded the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq for 2003 to April 2006.
- More 10-19 year-olds died from gunshots than from any other cause in the US other than motor vehicle accidents.
- Almost 90% of US kids killed by firearms in 2003 were boys.
- Black kids are most likely to be victims of firearm homicide. In fact, the firearm death rate for Black males ages 15-19 is more than 4 times that of White males in the same age group.
These are the kinds of questions that keep us up at night. With a loaded Smith & Wesson by the bedside.